Nowadays, the modern gym atmosphere seems to be an exact flashback of our high school gym classes: girls on one side, boys on the other.
Men congregate around the weights while women are running like hamsters on the treadmill. This is because all people of the same gender typically share the same goals: women want to lose weight and men want to gain muscle mass.
If you are a woman and you lift weights, you will become bulky and look like one of those scary man-lady trainers, right? NO!
As for the men, if you engage in cardio, you will lose all of the muscle you worked so hard to gain, right? Wrong again!
Despite where these fitness myths came about, it is time we all learned the facts and started embracing both cardio and strength training, no matter your gender.
Have you been going to the gym and cutting your calories, but still seeing no results? Do you typically do 20-40 minutes of cardio, maybe a quick circuit of light weights, and then maybe hit the mat for some crunches?
If you answered yes, you are just like the majority of women unsatisfied with their fitness goals. It is time to switch things up and start lifting weights! The old age fear of becoming bulky is nothing more than a myth and here are some reasons why…
1. Women physically do not have high enough testosterone levels to build massive muscle. Meaning, it is scientifically impossible for you to bulk up unless you are taking HGH or steroids to increase testosterone levels.
2. The average woman’s caloric intake is far too low to be gaining muscle mass. If you are already dieting, there is no way your body will become larger without compensating with massive amounts of calories.
3. Unless you are the Incredible Hulk’s sister, you will not be able to exert enough force to build bulky muscles. Women trainers that are large in mass are pushing themselves to the absolute MAX and most of the time using supplements to support those goals.
As for some reasons why women should start strength training, the most important one is that it will actually make you LOSE more weight. Lifting weights increases metabolic rate, which will burn calories all day long after a hard workout, even more so than cardio. If you have more muscle, your body requires more energy to perform simple tasks, meaning you will be burning even more calories throughout the day. Aside from weight loss, strength training will TONE your body, which is really what we all want. Your muscles will become more defined and your waist line will shrink if you challenge your body to lift heavier weights. Lastly, weights will help your overall functional strength, allowing you to last longer throughout cardio or any other type of training.
Now for the guys…
Are you afraid that running will make you lose the muscle mass you have and stunt growth for more development?
Fear no more, adding a little cardio to your routine will not only benefit your overall health, but it will make those guns stick out even more!
1. Muscle does not disappear so quickly, unless you are running 5k marathons every day with an extremely low-calorie diet. Cardiovascular activity will only promote FAT loss, which will make your muscles the center of attention, not the little pouch underneath your 6-pack.
2. Cardio also helps your muscles heal faster, which will allow you to push yourself even harder when you are lifting weights. It will also increase stamina and agility, which will also benefit your strength training routines.
With that being said, it is time to switch up our routines and try something new. Research has proven that mixing days of cardio with strength training is the most effective for weight loss.
It is time to end the segregation in gym class.
Ladies, go lift some weights with the guys and vice versa. While both genders have different goals, we can all teach each other techniques from both cardiovascular and strength workouts to benefit us all!
Here at the PhatBurn studio we alternate days between strength training and cardio to get the most effective fat burning routines while maintaining or even building muscle mass. Go!
[mk_button dimension=”three” size=”medium” outline_skin=”dark” bg_color=”#a0cb39″ text_color=”light” icon=”” url=”https://phatburn.leadpages.co/leadbox/14761f8f3f72a2%3A11edff063b46dc/5717244776546304/” target=”_self” align=”center” id=”Buton ID” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”15″]Book A Free Consultation[/mk_button]